Thursday 21 May 2015

University Degrees & Other Torturous Things

I can barely remember the last time I had a minute to sit down and write a blog post. I knew this semester at uni was probably going to be the toughest so far, but after the past two months of endless due dates, that somehow seems like an understatement. In the midst of sleepless nights and empty coffee cups, I will say that this semester has probably taught me more in terms of life skills than before, and now that it's almost at its end, I can appreciate those lessons:

1. It's all about balance. I feel like this has been the most difficult aspect of the past few months, because while uni isn't high school, it is still school. That means that classes must be attended and there is always work to complete. It did take me a few weeks to get into the swing of balancing a heavier course load with my social life (which conveniently- or inconveniently- has also gotten significantly busier lately), but being sensible with my time has lessened the probability of a complete mental break down.

2. Some things have to be sacrificed. For me, those sacrifices have mostly occurred in the sleep department. Personally, I feel that I'm most productive late at night, which means there has been an exponential increase in my coffee intake. It's also meant that blogging has slipped down in my priorities. It's important to remember that these don't have to be permanent measures- once the craziness of exams has passed, my time distribution will probably be completely different (read: I'm going to sleep for a week!).

3. Calendars/Diaries/Lists/Sticky notes are your best friend. They have saved my butt so many times when it comes to remembering all my important dates. When you've got assignments due, tests to study for, friends' social events and work commitments every week, things start to get a little hectic. Writing things down means I always have something to refer back to and everything gets done on time.

4. Remember to have fun. There's nothing worse than having your head stuck in a book or having to sit in front of your laptop multiple hours a day, seven days a week. Having some time to yourself to just read, or go for a walk, or binge watch some Netflix, is a valuable thing. Make some time to relax, and you'll probably feel more able to tackle all the hard stuff.

Though I constantly whine about how much work I have to do, I will grudgingly admit that I love the degree I'm studying. Even though it feels like it's always blood, sweat and tears, it's important to remember the positives that come out of it.

Also, periodically reward study with chocolate.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!