Thursday 27 August 2015

The Hometown Hunt


I like staying at home on a Friday night with Netflix for company as much as the next person. I’ve also been guilty of complaining that there is absolutely nothing interesting for me to do over the weekend, because let’s face it, my city seems to be pretty boring at the best of times. As a creature of habit, I often find myself at the same cafes or restaurants when I do choose to throw caution to the wind and actually leave the house.

If you’re anything like me, Eventbrite is an awesome resource for adding some fun back into your weekend (or any day of the week!). I’ve always said I’d rather spend money on experiences than on tangible things, and this website means I have no excuse not to make good on that statement. The Eventbrite website allows you to browse through events in your local area- festivals, screenings, performances and expos… Basically I never have an excuse to say there’s nothing to do. You can grab more information on any events that tickle your fancy, order your tickets and even contact the relevant organisers. Even better, if you're an event organiser, you can also pop onto the event management page for tools to help you manage your own event. 

As part of their Hometown Hunt project, I’m sharing two of my favourite Perth spots for local shenanigans. I’ve also got two event picks from the website that I can’t wait to attend.

Image | Choo Choo's 
Choo Choo’s is a small bar in the CBD that my cousin introduced me to at the start of the year- and it was love at first sight. While it’s great for a night out on the town (did someone say bar hopping?), they also have regular Unamped sessions. Atmosphere? Check. Awesome live music? Check.

Image | Padbury's Cafe Restaurant
On the opposite end of spectrum, I also love me a good high tea. Anyone will tell you that there are a number of places to enjoy the “finer things” in life, but Padbury’s Café Restaurant in Guildford has to be my favourite. You can book a high tea at your own convenience during the week, and my best friend and I have been known to make desperate dessert runs. This would have to be my pick for anyone who would rather get up early on a Sunday than stay out late on a Friday night.

Image | Perth Upmarket Facebook
Surprise, surprise- my number one Eventbrite pick is a market. Because I obviously like throwing my money at pretty, hand made things. The Perth Upmarket is a quarterly event held at UWA that “brings together over 150 of Perth’s most talented artists, designers, craftsmen and gourmets.” Did I mention entry and parking is free? I’m so there.

My second pick is the Spring Celebration Charity High Tea. All the proceeds go to Destiny Rescue, a not for profit organisation that fights against sex trafficking and child slavery. There will always be jewellery for sale at the event made by those who have been rescued. It sounds like a lovely way to support an amazing cause!

Just goes to show that you don't necessarily have to be a partier or night owl to enjoy all your city has to offer. I'd love to know what kind of local events are your favourite!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!