Friday 7 February 2014

Review: Bite Beauty High Pigment Pencils

I stumbled upon this product after avidly scouring the internet for the exact colour Lily Collins was rocking at a red carpet event. I'd never heard of Bite Beauty before, but I quickly fell in love with this after wearing the first two I ordered to university. My collection of them has grown quite considerably since then, and I'm determined to own all the beautiful shades at some point.


Bite Beauty is an all natural company that originates from Canada. Each of these pencils is formulated with food-grade products and contains an amount of the antioxidant resveratol which is equivalent to five glasses of red wine. At the moment, I believe there are 21 different colours available. They're touted as being a long lasting, matte lip colour. And as of right now, they are my favourite lip product of all time!

*This post is text heavy; feel free to scroll to the bottom for the short version!

Packaging:
These pencils come in a sleek charcoal tube. The name of each shade is written on the end of the pencil, and the upper end shows a representation of the colour inside. It isn't dead accurate, but it definitely saves the hassle of opening each one when you're looking for a specific colour. The one thing that annoys me is that the winder isn't very sturdy, and the product can get wound up without you realising- resulting in some of it being smushed in the lid. I've also had some of the lids on mine crack, so it's not what I'd call the most durable packaging, but I'm willing to put up with it for the inside!

Application:
These can be applied straight from the bullet, but as you wear them down, the point becomes less accurate. The formula is super soft and creamy. Opaque coverage can be achieved in one to two passes as they are super pigmented, and there's no uncomfortable tugging. They don't look matte to me upon first application, but they do set to a matte finish after an hour or so. If you want the matte look straight away, I recommend lightly blotting them with a tissue.
Because these are so soft, I feel like they're prone to smudging/feathering before they've set- especially if you apply a generous layer. For that reason, I wouldn't recommend applying the bolder colours without a mirror handy.

Wear:
I've worn these for 10-12 hours without reapplying, and while I do notice significant fading along the outer edges and corners after eating/drinking, majority of the colour remains in tact. Once these have set, they do not budge. They're not overly drying, but once I've hit the six hour mark or so, I'm usually reaching for a lip balm just to prevent the matte finish from accentuating dry patches.

Purchase info: $36.95 from The Iconic and Lipstick Republic; $24 USD from Sephora

Now onto the swatches of the pencils I own:

Bouquet is a light, blush pink.

Bramble is a currant/wine red.

Corvina is a bright coral pink.

Honey Berry is a warm neutral that reads brown when applied.

Pomegranate is a neutral, true red.

Velvet is a medium rosy pink.

Zinfandel is a super bright, orange toned red.

Pros:
-Highly pigmented and creamy
-Amazing lasting power
-Wide colour selection
-No product wastage (no sharpening required)
-Free of harmful chemicals

Cons:
-Unstable packaging
-Prone to smudging/feathering immediately following application
-Seems to be more prone to melting in hot weather conditions

Have you ever tried anything from Bite Beauty? If you have, let me know your favourite shades down below!

1 comment: