Tuesday 4 March 2014

First Impressions: Shanghai Suzy

I am a complete lip product junkie and I'm always on the look out for new ones to try. So you can imagine how excited I was when I received a Shanghai Suzy lipstick as part of my February bellabox. I'd never heard of this Aussie brand before, but since I was immediately smitten by the shade I got, I hopped onto their website to order some more.


Shanghai Suzy is the brain child of model Joanna Wheaton. The company aims to provide on trend lip colours at an affordable price. Each lipstick retails for $12.95 and there are currently 8 shades available in their SS13-14 line. Every colour offered is limited edition, and new colours are released to coincide with each season. There are currently two formulas of lipstick on offer, matte and nourish, and I've ordered a couple of each to share my first impressions with you.

Ordering:
There's currently a buy 3 get 1 free offer available on the Shanghai Suzy site, which I was super quick to take advantage of. I received my shipping confirmation the morning after placing my order, and my package took less than a week to arrive.

The Package:
The lipsticks were safely packaged in bubble wrap, secured with a sticker carrying the brand's logo. I must say I loved the attention to detail, as the package also contained a hand written thank you note from the team and a couple of flower petals- a very cute touch.


The Product:
I love the packaging! The black rectangular tubes are very sleek and classy. Each tube has a colour indicating sticker on the top end and a sticker with the shade name, formula and brief colour description on the bottom. As someone who owns a ton of lip products, I love how easy it is to locate these in my drawer. The plastic also feels super sturdy- there's a click when they are closed securely, and there's no way to accidentally wind product up while closed- preventing any mishaps that may occur while on the go.
The first thing I noticed when I went to swatch the lipsticks is that they have a very noticeable grape Hubba Bubba inspired scent. It is a strong scent, but not one you can really pick up once you've applied them. However, if you are someone who's particularly bothered by scented products, I'd suggest caution before purchasing these.

(L-R) Miss Hannah, Miss Sanja, Miss Jade, Miss Georgina

I haven't had the opportunity to put all the shades to the complete test yet, but they applied like a dream. Both the matte and nourish formulas were creamy and nicely pigmented, although the darker shades performed better in this aspect than the lighter ones.
I've worn Miss Hannah and Miss Georgina out for a spin, and they wore for about 4 hours before I felt like the colour had faded to the point of needing to reapply. They're both part of the nourish line, so given how well they performed, I'm excited to see how the mattes perform. They didn't feel particularly hydrating, but they didn't dry my lips out either. I felt like they feathered a tiny bit outside my lip line, but it wasn't anything too noticeable.

(L-R) Georgina, Hannah, Sanja, Jade without flash
With flash

The Wrap Up:
For the amount of money I paid for these, I'm very happy with how they've performed so far. Just from swatching them on my hand, I feel like they're quite comparable to some of my "higher end" lipsticks. I will have to test the longevity further, but my first impressions are very positive.
I'm looking forward to the brand releasing their new wardrobe of colours some time in March, and I can guarantee I will be purchasing from them again in the very near future.

Purchase info: $12.95 from Shanghai Suzy and bellabox

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!