Saturday 17 January 2015

All About the Base

I'm probably one of the last people to get these yearly favourites posts up, but I'm still determined to get through them all before the end of January. I had way too many products to include in just a single post, so I've split them into a few categories. I'm going to be doing my best to give a short rundown on why I love the products without rambling too much. Today's post is all about the base- and yes, I have been waiting so many months to use that line!


Covergirl Outlast Stay Fabulous Foundation | 825 Buff Beige
This is my go to foundation on my not-so-great skin days. The coverage is medium to full without being overly heavy or cakey, and it's super easy to build up. It's comfortable to wear and I can usually get it to go for a few hours before needing to re-powder, even then, it only starts to really break down at the 8 hour mark. Considering its one of the cheaper foundations I own, I think it's awesome.

MAC Pro Longwear Foundation | NC20
I was actually terrified of trying MAC face products since I've heard so many horror stories, but this one gave me a pleasant surprise. I love wearing this on the typical long day at university, because I can get away with minimal touch ups. The coverage is on the lighter end of the spectrum, but is easily buildable. Also, those claims about being long wearing? Two thumbs up.

bareMinerals Bare Skin Serum Foundation | 03 Bare Linen
I'm such a fan of this foundation and its accompanying brush. It covers what I want it to, but still looks like skin. I'm not going to say too much more about it, but if you want to read my full review then you can find it here.

NARS Sheer Glow Foundation | Punjab
This has been my every day foundation since I was first introduced to it in January. Considering my skin can get a little oily, I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about this- but I absolutely love it. It gives a natural finish, but still covers everything I need it to. I was expecting it to have a lot of slip on me, but once it's been lightly set with powder, I've never had an issue with it. It's a little on the pricey side, but for me, it was definitely worth it.

Maybelline Dream Pure BB Cream | Medium
This one was mentioned in my fuss free favourites post because it's just so quick and easy. I always use my fingers to apply it when I just want to look put together with as little effort as possible. I love that this is geared towards oily/problematic skin. It's comfortable to wear, but as with most BBs, I wish there was a greater colour range.

Maybelline Fit Me Concealer | 10 Light
This is a great all round concealer. I find the formula quite hydrating, which is nice to use under the eyes because it doesn't settle into any lines or crease. The consistency is also thick enough that I also use it on imperfections on the rest of my face. Once set with powder, it doesn't slip or slide around and I've had no issues with it fading or breaking up during the day.

Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer
I think you can tell this tube has been through the ringer. All the lettering has rubbed off and I can't even tell or remember what shade this particular one is in. While I use this as an all round concealer as well, I particularly like it under the eyes. It disguises my dark circles and definitely makes me look more awake.

Hourglass Ambient Light Powder | Dim Light
I cannot get enough of this powder. Once I've set my foundation, I use a flat brush to apply this all over the face and it literally makes for a flawless complexion. I don't know what it is about it, but it's like it softens or blurs the appearance of imperfections. Used a bit more heavily, I also really like this as a subtle highlight. The powder is super soft and finely milled, so it's almost impossible to go wrong with application.

MAC Mineralise Skinfinish Natural | Light +
You can just see that I've hit pan in on this baby- it was love at first sight. This powder works great on its own or with a little concealer on days when I don't want to put on a full face of makeup. It's also awesome as a setting powder over other foundations, and also boosts the coverage. I can use it multiple times throughout the day without my face ever looking cakey, and it does an awesome job at keeping the oiliness away. 

2 comments:

  1. I've been curious to try the BareSkin and Sheer Glow foundation, but always passed them since I have oily skin. But now I'm even more curious to try them because hey, what if they do work well with my skin? haha. I've also been on the search for any of the Rimmel Wake Me Up products and have had no luck. :( Maybelline's Fit Me Concealer is one of the best I've ever tried though!

    ☮ ♡ :) melli | mellivi.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same about the BareSkin and Sheer Glow! I didn't think they would live up to the hype on my oily skin, but it was definitely worth the gamble x

      Delete