Tuesday 8 April 2014

The Autumn/Winter Edit: Lip Colour

I'm not really one to follow all the seasonal colour trends, because if I feel like wearing bright pink lips in the middle of winter then you bet I'm going to do it, but I do love me a good dark lip. It's definitely a trend that I've had to ease myself into, but now wearing these kind of tones is a staple for me. I feel like it's super easy to incorporate into your routine with just a neutral eye, tons of mascara and some contouring. 


I've picked out a couple of my favourite deeper shades to share with you, there are a couple of new ones I've acquired which are missing from this post- but never fear, because I'm planning a post declaring my undying love for those as well. I've tried to include a variety of hues and finishes, so hopefully you'll find something that tickles your fancy!


Revlon Colourburst Balm Stain in Crush ($17.95)- This gives the lips a sheer berry tint, which is great if you're not sure you're ready to commit to going for a full on bold lip. It's a product that'll give you a lot of control opacity wise, because you can also build it up for a darker colour. It's not the longest lasting, but it is comfortable to wear and has a slightly glossy finish.

Shanghai Suzy Nourish Lipstick in Miss Hannah ($12.95)- I love a red lip all year around, but I prefer deeper, blue based reds particularly in this season. To me, this one is quite wearable as it looks like the happy medium as far as warm and cool go. The brand describes this as a blood red, which I think is perfect. I believe this shade is limited edition as it's part of the 'Spring Wardrobe,' but as I'm writing this, it's still available on the website. 

Shanghai Suzy Matte Lipstick in Miss Kitty ($12.95)- A recent addition to my collection when I ordered all the A/W releases from Shanghai Suzy, this was the one I was most excited about. It's described as being a black plum, which again, is pretty accurate. I think it's more of a warm wine shade, if that makes any sense- it leans a bit more brown than it does berry. It is a matte, but isn't overly drying- I can't testify to its wear time as I haven't worn it enough, but the colour is a winner.

Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick in 09 ($9.99)- This is the pinkiest toned lipstick of the bunch, I'd describe it as a mid toned raspberry colour. This formula is one of my absolute favourites at the 'drugstore' price point, it's really smooth and comfortable to wear.

Revlon Colourburst Lip Butter in Raspberry Pie ($21.95)- I own way too many lip butters, but this is the one that's been toted around in my purse lately. The name of the colour is pretty much dead on, it's perhaps a smidgen deeper than the Rimmel shade and not as pink. It gives opaque colour coverage and a glossy finish, but requires more frequent reapplication.

MAC Lipstick in Rebel ($36)- Need I say more? I feel like this is a cult favourite colour in the beauty community, and it was raved about so often that I just decided to pick it up. To me, it has a lot more purple in it than the others, which is a shade I'm not generally a fan of, but it's dark enough that it doesn't seem so in your face. This pretty much lives in my current makeup rotation. Love.

Bite Beauty High Pigment Pencil in Bramble ($36.95)- I'm not going to spend too long raving about this particular product, because it's already been included in a beauty favourites post and a review. So if you are keen to find out just how much I adore it, go ahead and read on over there. It is the most long wearing of the bunch, so probably the most convenient for long days at work or university.

That wraps up my favourite lip colours for the season, are you a fan of dark lips? If you are, please let me know what your favourites are down below- I'd love to try more out! 


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!