Sunday 28 September 2014

Beginners Tips For The Gym- From A Beginner!


I'm not naturally inclined towards physical activity. I'm actually pretty sure that a giant squid has better coordination than I do. So you can probably imagine me furiously searching Youtube for tutorials on how to use gym equipment the night before my first session. If my experience is anything to go by, it can be pretty intimidating- especially for someone who's got next to no clue how to use 99% of the machinery and is usually too shy to ask for help. Fast forward a few weeks and I'm by no means an expert, but I definitely feel more confident! Practice definitely makes perfect.

1. Ease yourself into it.
This probably depends how fit you are, but if you're anything like me, I don't advise sprinting on the treadmill your first time. To be quite honest, I was pretty terrified I was going to go flying off the back of it, and it wasn't until my third or fourth visit that I finally worked up the courage to give running a go.

2. Ignore everyone else.
Keep in mind that health and fitness is about you. So what if people can lift more weight or run faster than you can? Do what you can, then work your way up to being better. The only person you should be competing with is yourself!

3. If you're unsure, ask. 
There is no such thing as a dumb question- no, really. If there's something you're not sure how to use, your best bet is to ask one of the fitness trainers who generally hang around- that's what they're there for! You're better off asking than using something incorrectly and hurting yourself.


4. Try something new every session.
Even if it's only taking a minute to figure out how something works, it's worth it. I found that the more things I took the time to learn, the more confident and comfortable I became. It's also given me the chance to mix up my workouts more so I don't get bored.

5. Track your progress.
After every session, I like to make note of how long I spent on each machine, the resistance level or weight I used, or the number of reps I did. It makes a world of difference when you're lacking motivation to look back and see how far you've come.

6. Have fun!
If you hate what you're doing, there is no way you're ever going to be motivated to continue. If running's not your thing, try the cross trainer or stationary bike. If you're not super keen on weights, then try some exercises that just use your body for resistance. Once you find the exercises you like doing, you'll probably find yourself actually wanting to commit.

7. Have a work out playlist.
I find music really helps get me pumped up, particularly when it's 6 in the morning and there are other places I'd rather be (name: in bed, preferably asleep). Spotify's a really good place to start looking for some awesome running tunes.


I feel compelled to end this post with a bunch of motivational quotes, but I feel like everyone's probably heard them a hundred times already. Just keep a look out for people's shirts at the gym- there's always at least one person who's wearing one with an awesome slogan!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!